I have a confession to make.
There is a saying in Christian circles that has always bugged me. Every time I hear it, I cringe.
“God will never give you more than you can handle.”
That is not true in my life. I always have more in my life than I can handle. If I can handle it myself why would I need Him?
There are mornings I wake and know I’m not going to make it through the day if it’s all up to me.
If I’m the one who is to handle it… it’s not going to turn out well.
- I don’t have the wisdom for all the questions that come at me in a day.
- I’m at a loss how to fix things on my own.
- And I never have a good answer to the question of “Why?” when tragedy hits.
God works through our difficulties and hard times to bring us nearer to Him. He knows we need Him. We need His wisdom and we need His grace.
- I can’t handle my own sin.
- On my own, I can’t handle tough decisions.
- On my own, I can’t handle the stress of tragedy, loss and grieve.
He is the One who knows the beginning from the end. He knows our past and He knows our future. He is close to the brokenhearted and He grieves with us.
Jesus says, All those with heavy burdens…. Those carrying more than they can handle…. Come to me and I will give you rest…Ask for wisdom…Lean in close and listen for the counsel of God.
- In ministry, we have more than we can handle. We need Him. We will fail without Him.
- In life, we need Him.
- In our finances, we need Him.
- In our marriages and in our families, we need Him.
He made us to be a needy people… to need Him. And for us to think He never gives us more than we can handle is setting ourselves up for failure. He doesn’t ask us to handle it. He asks us to trust Him with our lives and He will handle the details.
He is a detail-oriented God. He lays out the places and exact times in which we live. He knows where we have been and where we are going.
He knows our beginning from our end and He is with us every step of the way.
When we are thrown off kilter because of the things handed to us in a day, He doesn’t say, “Well, you did it to yourself. You figure it. You got yourself into this mess, you get yourself out.”
And He doesn’t say, “You handle all this and I’ll be back when you figure it out.”
NO! He says, “Come near…. Find strength… Find rest… Find wisdom in my Words.”
He’s always in there. He’s always in the details.
He is working even when we don’t see. He takes care of us and we can trust Him with the details, He can handle it.
He’s not absent from our worries nor is He closed off to our cries. He hears. He knows. He is near.
Trust Him with your heart, don’t lean on your own understanding (Rachel paraphrase…. Don’t try and handle it yourself)… instead look to Him for wisdom and understanding and He will direct your steps. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
He’s got you and He’s not letting go. He’s not asking you to handle this without Him instead He’s asking you to take your own hands off the controls and let Him handle the details. Trust Him… He can handle it.
JUMP INTO THE CONVERSATION:
- When is it difficult for you to trust?
- Share with us a favorite scripture that has gotten you through?
- When is a time you have seen Him work out the details?
Sharing your story inspires courage in others!
Linking up today with: