As Matthew sat and ate his lunch, his ham and cheese sandwich was looking less and less appealing as the thought of an ice cream cone kept creeping into his mind.
- “I don’t want this sandwich, Mom!”
- “I didn’t even want this kind in the first place.”
- “I’m not hungry for this sandwich.” “
- “It’s not my favorite.”
And as his hot ham and cheese grew colder and colder he turned to me with a matter of fact tone. “Mom, I’m full of this sandwich and I’m ready for my ice cream.”
He wanted to set aside what I had provided and instead move onto his own idea of an ice cream treat.
God’s way of providing may not always be our favorite. It might not be our idea or our way we want our need met but it is His way of providing. Ouch, that hurts! And that’s not fun! God’s way of provision is not always easy.
We can find ourselves in a place of need.
- Finances can be tight, or even lacking.
- Relationships can be strained and out of whack.
- Our bodies can be messed up and there is no answer to what is going on
- We may need wisdom in making a decision and feel the answer is not coming how we want it.
Whatever our need we can sometimes look to our own way of solving it instead of trusting in the provision God supplies.
In the Old Testament, Judges 21:25 says, “In those days, Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit.” People made decisions with their own ideas in mind.
Israel was meeting their own need in their own way instead of trusting God’s way and God’s provision. They were doing as they saw fit.
Sometimes not getting our way is the best way. Ouch! For me, that’s a “ham & cheese sandwich” not easy to swallow. My way is not always the best way. His ways are better— even when they’re harder.
So what can we do when we don’t get our own way?
- Remember God knows where you are. – He hasn’t forgotten or lost track of what, where and how you are living. (Psalm 139:1-18)
- Trust His provision– It might not be our favorite at this moment. It might not be our way or our choosing but we can trust His way of providing. His grace is enough to get us through whatever we face.
Trusting in Him is not always easy and the provision is not always abundant but it is always enough. He is always faithful and He is always good.
Our lives will be messy, difficult and hard. Life is not ALWAYS easy or pleasant. He may have a road ahead for us that is not our favorite or that we didn’t want in the first place but by remembering God is with us and trusting His provision we will see His goodness through it.
I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken… The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him; though we may stumble, we will not fall, for the Lord upholds us with His hand. ~ Psalm 37:23-25
Jump in and join the conversation:
- When have you chosen God’s way over your own way and then saw the good in the end? Sharing your story will encourage others!
- When do you find it the most difficult to trust?
- How can we pray for you?
Linking up with: